Friday, November 7, 2008

My cup overfloweth

When we lost our baby in February, we were met with such an astounding amount of support. People brought us meals, gave us money, gift cards, flowers and more. My heart still wells up with gratitude when I think of the love and generosity shown to us during that sorrowful time.

Now, it has been over 3 months that my husband has been unemployed. This is the longest amount of time he has ever been out of work and believe me when I say, men need to be the providers. It is innate in their being. When there is no job to include in his identity, who is he? It is easier, at these times, to believe the lies that come sneaking in... lies that whisper "You're no good, you have a poor work ethic, what a failure you are, what a loser of a man."

Thankfully, by the grace of God, we know the truth and the truth sets us free to believe in something greater. A greater plan. A deeper knowing. A calmer abiding.
A broader horizon. A stronger trust. A truer faith. A sweeter love.

There has been such a stripping away of all the junk, a deep cleaning in our minds and the beauty is that we are sharing in it together. Our need has driven us to our knees each morning in prayer together. After desiring this to happen for years and years, now it finally has... hm, funny the way it had to happen.

While this has been such a stretching, stressful, trying time, I would not trade it or wish it away.
In fact, my heart overflows with gratitude at the Lord's dealings.

Does not the shaking come so that the gold may shine forth?

I cannot conclude this without mentioning the support we have had once again this year... I just shake my head when I ponder it all.

~ Numerous meals have been brought to us
~ Bags and boxes of groceries left for us
~ Almost every other Sunday, someone hands us a check
~ Gift cards, movie tickets, free babysitting
~ Prayer and encouragement and loads of it!

A bounty of organic produce from our neighbors!!! What a treat!


My cup truly does overfloweth.
I shall not be in want.

"I have been young, and now am old;
Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken,
Nor his descendants begging bread."
~ Psalm 37:25 ~
~ christa jean

6 comments:

Youthful One said...

What a tremendous blessing!

That reminded me of the George Mueller story of depending upon the Lord for each day's needs. (Also in the book Granny Han's Breakfast - a great read for the kids!)

Our first year of marriage was like that - my hubby was unemployed for the entire first year. What a time of inward struggle that can produce! What a great time to recognize that God and God ALONE is our provider. He is ever so faithful.

I love that you didn't keep this to yourself. I love that you broadcast it web-wide to glorify the One who loves you so dearly.

Anonymous said...

You are loved, beautiful...

Brenna

SuperDave said...

I don't think many wives really recognize the need of men to work. Nice job on thinking outside the box. Most men are driven by design to provide for our families. Sometimes so much so that we are often spend too much time at work. On the other side of that same coin is protection. Hang in there big C, better times are ahead.

SuperDave said...

As I was looking at the name of your blog, I discoverd that it is one letter off from Transformer. This is truly you, because as you interact with those around you, you transform them. I have been transformed just in the little time I have spent with your family.

Kathi said...

Christa Jean, What a beautiful post and tribute to the Lord of how He works in our lives. He sent all those people to bless you in your time of need. He does provide.
I will pray for the perfect job for your husband. Hugs, Kathi

The Everett Seven said...

I love this post. I am so glad that you are prospering during this time. You are reaping the rewards of a good marriage as well as sowing seeds for many years to come!